Thursday, October 11, 2012

Week 6 Pick-A-Thon!

Week 4 Recap:
Damn, I'm Good:
Link Obviously Picked These:

Week 6 Picks, and Maybe Some Analysis

Byes: Saints, Panthers, Jaguars (at least this game won't be blacked out), Bears

Thursday Night Football

Pittsburgh Steelers (2-2) @ Tennessee Titans (1-4):
Did you know this is the first time I've spelled "Tennessee" correctly without spellcheck? While I still maintain the Titans are a better team than they're shown (I refuse to be wrong, damnit), they aren't better than the Steelers. However, the Steelers are coming off a short week and a game played against the in-state rival Eagles. Not quite on upset alert, but expect a closer game than advertised.

Sunday
Kansas City Chiefs (1-4) @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-3):
We really lost to KC? The ever-so-dreamy Brady Quinn will attempt to charm his way to a win against the Bucs. Coming off a bye, I'd venture a well-rested Bucs team will give Quinn plenty of hugs (read: sacks) but not a win.

Dallas Cowboys (2-2) @ Baltimore Ravens (4-1):
Did you know the Cowboys have never defeated the Ravens? This trend continues. Despite the Ravens defense having some fallout compared to previous years, there are still playmakers on this team, and Tony Romo loves giving defense playmakers some plays. The Cowboys have a solid defense thus far, but the best QB they've seen is either Eli or Cutler, depending on your definition of good.

St. Louis Rams (3-2) @ Miami Dolphins (2-3):
The NFC West continues its dominance of the NFL...not really, this is probably just the closest I'll ever be to being able to type that sentence. Both these teams are playing a big better than their records, but with the Rams coming off a big win at home, I can see them dropping this one to the Fins.

Detroit Lions (1-3) @ Philadelphia Eagles (3-2):
Did you know I still haven't spelled "Philadelphia" correctly yet? The Lions are dreadfully underperforming this season, but do have the advantage of coming off a bye. This one feels like a shoot-out that comes down to the wire for me. This is a "the home team gets the nod" case, though I almost want to make this an upset special.
Saints Spin: You could call this one either way. The Eagles currently lead the NFC East, with the Giants in a tie, but facing the 49ers. An Eagles win and Giants loss would knock another Wild Card team down a peg, while not really hurting our standing too much. You could make a case for the Lions and Giants both winning, but I'm going with the Eagles here.

Cincinnati Bengals (3-2) @ Cleveland Browns (0-5):
I still can't spell Cincinnati either. This factoid is the most interesting part of this game.

Indianapolis Colts (2-2) @ New York Jets (2-3):
Yet I can spell Indianapolis...I have a bit of trouble with this one as well. I think the Colts are actually a better team, but they're away, coming off a big win and the Jets are getting a bit desperate. I'm going with the Jets, against my better judgment. I look forward to the Reggie Wayne vs Antonio Cromartie matchup. I think Wayne makes Cro his bitch, but we shall see.

Oakland Raiders (1-3) @ Atlanta Falcons (5-0):
The Falcons traditionally own the Raiders, and I can't even make a case for an upset here. Pull for the Falcons' luck to run out, but don't expect it.

New England Patriots (3-2) @ Seattle Seahawks (3-2):
The Seahawks have been crazy good against the pass this season, partly because both corners are like 8 feet tall, holding Aaron Rodgers to 223 yards and Tony Romo to 251. Newsflash: Brady's better than both these guys. I don't see a slaughter, but I expect the Pats to take this one down.

Buffalo Bills (2-3) @ Arizona Cardinals (4-1):
Wait, the Bills won two games? When did that happen? It'd be nice if they could help the Saints out with a win, but...no.

New York Giants (3-2) @ San Francisco 49ers (4-1):
How is this not a night game? Should be a good one. I believe the 49ers get a little sweet, sweet revenge against the Giants, which is also the best case scenario for the Saints. Although the Giants offense is better than the 49ers, the 49ers defense is that much better.

Minnesota Vikings (4-1) @ Washington Redskins (2-3):
If you haven't been paying attention, the Vikings lead the NFC North. Shocker, huh? Had I started doing this blog before the season, I'd be able to say "you read it here first", but alas, I did not. With vomit in my mouth, I felt the Vikings were an underrated team, but they've surprised even me. Christian Ponder has been efficient as hell passing the ball (no picks before last week's stat curse), while the Redskins have been efficient at getting passed on. A "mildly" concussed RGIII may play, but I'd venture to guess his runs will be limited.
Saints Spin: We've lost to the Redskins, so in a tiebreak scenario, we'd need to be a game up on them. Pull for the Vikings.

Sunday Night Football
Green Bay Packers (2-3) @ Houston Texans (5-0):
The Packers are a good team. They should be 3-2. The Texans are scary good, crushing almost every opponent they've played. The scarier part? They've yet to involve Andre' Johnson in any heavy way. I expect the Texans to go to the AFC Championship Game, but they'll have to, and likely will, hit 6-0 first.


Monday Night Football
Denver Broncos (2-3) @ San Diego Chargers (3-2):
Hey, one of these 2's in the Chargers' loss column is from us! Manning and the Broncos haven't seemed to get it together yet, and this is a home game for the Chargers, making this pick easier than it should be (considering it's a division game).

New Orleans Saints (1-4) @ BYE (0-1):
The Saints an are amazing 45-0 against BYE. I see that trend continuing. It's debatable if it's a good or bad thing to have the bye after our long-awaited first win. Does it kill our momentum, or give us time to relax and refocus after that Sunday Night game? For the second game in a row, the Saints' defense held a good offense to 7 points. Look, I don't care how many yards what team rolls up on us, yards do not win games. Points do. Period. We also only have to deal with one more game with Aaron "Mannequin" Kromer doing his head coach impression. The team's been on an upward swing and finally started showing the fight and grit that got them through so many close ones over the years, as opposed to the looks of dejection we've seen over previous week. Maybe it was the big spotlight? Maybe it was coach in the building? Whatever it was, let's hope they hold onto it through the bye and going into Tampa.

No comments:

Post a Comment